I am looking forward to meeting each of our Coyotes and their parents!
Important Procedural Information
For our Wonderful Parents at Coyote Canyon Elementary
Since arriving in July, I have been watching our procedures, evaluating their effectiveness, as well as speaking with and listening to many parents and staff members. Now, after almost two months of observation, it is time to make some needed changes to our procedures for morning drop-off, afternoon pick-up, as well as the expectations for teacher conferences, visitors, and volunteer help. The changes below have as their foundation the need to both provide a safe environment for our staff and students as well as protect instruction time. Thank you in advance for both your understanding of the need for the changes as well as your cooperation and compliance.
Safe and Effective Morning Drop-Off
- Students may still be dropped off in the large parking lot by Kid Central where we have staff supervision.
- If you wish to accompany your child to the blacktop, please continue to park, use the crosswalk area by the gate, and accompany your child to his/her classroom line on the blacktop.
- Once the teachers have come to get their classes, we must then say “Goodbye” to our wonderful parents, allowing only staff and students into the courtyards.
- Gates to the school will be locked promptly at 8:35, allowing 5 minutes for parents to exit the campus.
- If you arrive to school at or after 8:30 am, please walk around to the main office. There your child will receive a pass and be sent to his/her class (they all know where their class is now).
- Since the start of the school day is crucial to success in the classroom, we must protect the time and honor the teacher’s hard work in preparing for each day. With that in mind, while we encourage parent/teacher conferences, they need to be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance and cannot be done during drop-off and pick-up times as the teachers have other responsibilities at those times.
Safe and Effective Check-In Procedures
- All visitors and volunteers need to check-in at the front desk, sign-in, receive a sticker, and wear it proudly on their person near the shoulder area (so it is clearly visible at a quick glance).
- Once you have received and applied your sticker you will be allowed access to the hallway (soon we will have a “buzzer entry system” into the main hallway- Thank you PTO!)
- Please check-out at the front desk as you are leaving
- The rationale for this stricter procedure is two-fold. First, so we will know who is on our campus at all times and their reason for requesting permission on campus. And second, so that we have an accurate list of all persons on our campus at any given time.
Safe and Effective Student Pick-Up
- We will continue to follow our current plan in which parents will park in the large parking lot by Kid Central and walk on campus to pick up their children from classroom teachers.
- However, due to safety concerns of the unorganized pick-up at the back gate as well as its proximity to the street and parking lot, beginning Monday, October 1, 2012, student pick-up will be on the blacktop at their child’s classroom number (same as in the morning). While we are aware that this requires our parents to walk further on campus, it allows us to have a safe and effective dismissal.
- At the blacktop, please wait for the teacher to have their class in line and ready before approaching the teacher for pick-up.
- Again, as mentioned earlier, this is not the time for teacher conferences as teachers have the responsibility of a ensuring a safe and orderly release of our students. Thank you again for respecting this duty.
- If you would like your child to be released to walk home, please provide a note to his/her teacher.
- If your child attends Kid Central, a KC Staff member will be on the blacktop to take your child to Kid Central.
Thank you again for your understanding of the need for these changes, your cooperation and compliance. Together we can ensure the safety of all at Coyote Canyon Elementary School.
Thanks as always,